Position Description for the Harris County District Attorney’s Office
The Assistant District Attorney coordinates with Law Enforcement Officers to determine whether probable cause exist.
- Routinely speaking with agencies at a rapid pace to provide guidance on probable cause.
- Determines the appropriate charges to file at Intake based on the facts presented by Law Enforcement Officers.
- Will handle all serious felonies except murder and capital murder charges.
- Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree.
- License to practice law in the State of Texas, with no disciplinary history and in good standing with the Texas State Bar.
- Four (4) years of experience in handling criminal cases.
- Experience in investigations and the trial of criminal cases.
- Proficient in writing search and arrest warrants, and in drafting Grand Jury subpoena requests.
- Strong litigation and trial skills.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient using Microsoft software programs.
- Ability to provide guidance to Law Enforcement when probable cause is lacking.
- The ability to effectively communicate the Office’s Position on the acceptance of charges.
- Ability to assume the role and responsibilities of the Section Chief in their absence.
NOTE: To qualify for this position, required education, experience, knowledge and skills must be clearly stated on your application’s employment history. Resumes are welcome, but we do not use any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration.
- Shift Work / 12:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m./ 8a.m. to 5a.m./ or 12 hour shifts depending on the division needs.
- Will be required to work nights, weekends, rotating holidays, and during weather events.
- Harris County offers a competitive benefits program, including comprehensive group health and related benefits plan as well as defined benefit retirement plan. The following list of benefits is offered only to employees in regular (full-time) positions:
- Life Insurance
- Long-term disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- 10 days of vacation each year for the first five (5) years of service.
- Accrual rates increase based on years of service.
- 10 county holidays plus one (1) floating holiday
- Professional development opportunities
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Plan
- Healthcare Reimbursement Account
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- The following benefits are also available to regular (full-time) employment and may be available to part-time employees:
- Retirement pension (TCDRS)
- Transportation Assistance (Metro Ride Sponsor Program)
Note: We are hiring Misdemeanor 3’s, Felony 2’s, and Felony Chief’s
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
- Salaries vary depending on experience