Location: 100 E. Cano St, 2nd Floor, Edinburg, TX 78539
Department: District Attorney
Job Status: Full-Time
Shift: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Rate of Pay: Grade 15 $61,670.00 – 88,374.00 Annual
Position Type: Grant Position
Closes on: May 31, 2019 at 5:00PM CST
Position will not be filled before 03/12/19. The Hidalgo County District Attorney’s Office has an opening for a highly motivated and experienced felony senior level Assistant District Attorney IV position. Felony trial courtroom experience as an Assistant District Attorney/ Prosecutor with an emphasis on criminal trial expertise is preferred. Applicant must be licensed by the State of Texas and in good standing with the State Bar of Texas.
Performs senior-level legal work; Work involves prosecuting and defending all manner of civil and criminal matters in various levels of trials and appellate courts and administrative forums. Work under the supervision of higher level attorneys in an effort to build the knowledge, skills, and expertise necessary for this position. Investigates and litigates various cases filed with the District Attorney’s office.
Examples of Work Performed
- Will make decisions and/or counsels with clients, victims, or police concerning the commencement of proceedings in court or related forums
- May also provide written or oral legal advice to individual or governmental clients, and draft legal instruments or other written materials carrying legal implication
- Appears in court and/or related forums to select juries, present and cross-examine evidence, make legal arguments, and act as an oral advocate
- Drafts and files pleadings, answering motions, briefs and responses necessary to conduct litigation and/or proceedings in related forums
- Investigate facts giving rise to legal issues, and bring about solutions to their clients legal problems in a variety of forums
- Counsels and advises clients within bounds of confidentiality, when applicable, regarding legal issues in all phases of litigation
- Identifies, locates, and prepares witnesses to present testimony effectively in court or related forums
- Identifies and prepares non-testimonial forms of evidence for use in court and related forums
- Conducts and/or supervises investigations and/or civil and criminal discovery proceedings
- Drafts legal instruments and various documents with legal implications
- Negotiates with others to settle litigation or other contested matters or to assist in solving problems with legal implications
- Develops knowledge and expertise in applicable area of law to keep pace with constant developments and to impart this knowledge and skills to others in various settings
- Performs related work as assigned
Experience and Education
Juris Doctorate (JD) degree
Felony courtroom experience as an Assistant District Attorney/ Prosecutor with an emphasis on criminal trial expertise is preferred
Must be licensed by the State of Texas and in good standing with the State Bar of Texas
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in high-pressure situations
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Able to handle all stressful situations with an even temperament and work effectively with others in achievement of tasks
- Must possess advanced professional level of analytical ability and be very well versed in the art of being diplomatic and tactful in addition to the use of good judgment and common sense
- Must possess necessary writing skills at a seasoned level to communicate information and directions to attorneys, detectives, police agencies and citizens
- Must be computer literate
- Knowledge of all applicable laws and procedures
- Must have good working knowledge and understanding of penal statutes and code of criminal procedures as well as case holdings and departmental policies
Registration, Certification, and Licensure
Must have a current valid Texas motor vehicle operator’s license
Must be able to be insured by the County’s insurance carrier
The information is provided by the County of Hidalgo Human Resources Department as a public service, and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
The County of Hidalgo is an Equal Opportunity organization and employer, and considers employment applications solely on the basis of qualifications and special requirements. Applicants are selected without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, or any other protected status under applicable state and federal laws.
The County of Hidalgo complies with the American with Disabilities Act and the American with Disabilities Amendment Act, as well as applicable state and federal laws which prohibit discrimination in employment against qualified individuals with disabilities. . The County does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its hiring or employment practice, or against any individual who satisfies the skill, experience, education, and other job-related requirements of the position sought or held, and can perform the primary job tasks of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. The County shall provided reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in accordance with law. Qualified individuals with disabilities must make requests for reasonable accommodation. Upon request, the County shall meet with the individual to identify specific limitations resulting from the individual’s disability and the availability for any reasonable accommodation the County may be able to make. If you are qualified and require accommodation in order to apply for a position, please contact the Human Resources Department with your request.
Hidalgo County offers a comprehensive salary and benefits package consisting of competitive salaries, a wide selection of insurance products, unique retirement system, and paid time off.
Salary: The salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Insurance: Hidalgo County offers an excellent insurance benefits package which includes a 100% county-paid employee medical and life insurances and also provides access to other insurance products which include dental, vision, critical illness, long term/ short term disability, and cancer insurance.
Retirement: Hidalgo County partners with Texas County & District Retirement System (TCDRS) to offer its employees a unique and exceptional retirement plan that matches two to one (2 dollars for every 1 dollar contributed).
Paid Time Off: Hidalgo County affords various types of paid time off to its employees as warranted. This includes paid annual / vacation days, paid sick days, paid holidays, and paid bereavement leave.
All offers of employment are contingent on criminal background check qualification.