POSITION: Assistant District Attorney – Misdemeanor
LOCATION: Criminal District Attorney’s Office
Wichita County Courthouse
SUPERVISOR: Criminal District Attorney / First Assistant District Attorney
HOURS: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday
(Additional hours may be required)
SALARY: $70,000.00-80,000.00 Annually
POSTING DATE: January 3, 2023
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
► GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
Serves as an Assistant District Attorney in the Wichita County Criminal District Attorney’s Office – handling misdemeanor cases including Class C offenses, juvenile, mental health and protective order cases.
► ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
• Reviews and processes the case packet for each criminal case filed by a police agency and initiates prosecution where appropriate.
• Reviews and processes case information in juvenile, mental health and protective order cases.
• Attends docket calls, conducts plea bargain negotiations, is well prepared on assigned cases, makes decisions promptly and keeps abreast of the law.
• Is of extremely high integrity, professional demeanor and demonstrates proper respect to the court at all times.
• Reviews assigned cases, supervises secretaries in preparation of paperwork, checks all pleadings for accuracy, makes timely issuance of applications for subpoenas and prepares and files motions promptly and accurately.
• Is available for consultations with court personnel, victims, witnesses, defendants, defense attorneys and other criminal justice personnel.
• Is responsible for all cases in his/her charge including the security of the file. Upon the disposition of each case, properly completes the case file to show such disposition.
• Prepares cases for jury or bench trials, including pretrial motions, orders, interviewing witnesses and preparing trial notebooks and jury charges.
• Complies with and enforces the rules, regulations and policies of the Criminal District Attorney’s Office, the oral and written directives of his/her supervisors and the Texas Code of Professional Responsibility.
• Performs all other job-related duties as assigned.
► MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
• Must be a graduate of an American Bar Association accredited law school.
• Must have a license to practice law in the State of Texas and be in good standing with the State and local bar associations.
• Must have a basic knowledge of criminal law, procedure and criminal rules of evidence.
• Must have knowledge of the principals and methods of legal research.
• Must have the ability to analyze facts and case precedents and present them effectively in court.
• Must be able to conduct self in a professional manner and develop and maintain good working relationships with visitors, clients, co-workers, attorneys, judges and County officials.
• Must pass a pre-employment physical exam and drug test paid by Wichita County.
• Must be able to pass a thorough background investigation conducted by Wichita County.
► CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
• Must be able to occasionally lift and move loads weighing up to fifty (50) pounds.
• The Criminal District Attorney’s Office is a non-smoking environment.
• Interviews will be conducted as applications are received.
► APPLY TO:
To be considered for employment, please submit your completed Wichita County Employment Application, cover letter, resume, transcript and writing sample to:
Office of the Criminal District Attorney
Wichita County, Texas
ATTN: LaDonna Bedford
900 7th Street, Suite 352
Wichita Falls, Texas 76301
Or email to: [email protected]
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: It is the policy of Wichita County to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job categories without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, or disability. It is the policy of Wichita County to consider qualified individuals according to ADAAA standards. If notified in advance, requested accommodations will be considered. Final reasonable accommodations will be determined in accordance with ADAAA standards by departments after appropriate consultation. Rejected accommodations will be documented and retained on file.
TEXAS RELAY: TDD (800) 735-2989, VOICE (800) 735-2988. For candidates requesting Braille, Mobility requests, etc., please call (940) 766-8108. HR/ADAAA Compliance Office, Wichita County Courthouse, 900 7th Street, Room 132, Wichita Falls, Texas 76301.
AUTHORIZATION FOR RELEASE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
I have applied for employment with the Wichita County Criminal District Attorney’s Office. It is my desire that they be informed as to my previous record and character in determining my qualifications and suitability for a position in that office. For this specific reason, I authorize the release and full disclosure of any and all information that you may have concerning me, including information of a confidential or privilege nature to a duly authorized agent of the Wichita County Criminal District Attorney’s Office.
The following are examples of the type of information being requested:
Criminal arrest records Officer’s notebook notations Traffic citations
Court records/reports Performance evaluations Polygraph results
Traffic accident reports/records Detentions, field citations Jail and custody information
Disciplinary reports Probation/parole reports/records Other reports or records
Booking information District Attorney records Field interviews
Employment records Credit history Laboratory reports/results
I authorize the Wichita County Criminal District Attorney’s Office to read, review, or photocopy any documents to allow them to assess my suitability as an employee of the office.
I also understand that if my background investigation for this position should uncover information that I have, or am suspected of having, or have been engaged in illegal activities, the information will likely bar me from further consideration for this position and the information will be handed over to the appropriate law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over investigating the illegal activity.
This waiver is valid for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of my signature. A photocopy of this notarized waiver is to be considered as valid as an original waiver even though it does not contain an original signature.
I hereby release you, your organization, and others from liability or damage which may result from furnishing the information requested.
___________________ __________ __________
Print Name Social Security Number Date of Birth
Signature (MUST be notarized) Date
This instrument was acknowledged before me on ______ by __________________.
(Date) (Name of person acknowledging)
Printed Name My Commission Expires