Kaufman County Criminal District Attorney’s Office
Assistant District Attorney – Misdemeanor
Job Title: Assistant District Attorney (Misdemeanor) FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: District Attorney’s Office Full-Time: Yes
Location: Kaufman Salary: $69,000-72,000
Open: 03/28/2022 Close: Until Filled
This position requires a thorough knowledge of criminal prosecution and court procedures. This position is responsible for handling misdemeanor and felony legal matters and trying cases in County Court.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- All aspects of prosecution of criminal offenses, including case screening, preparation of pleadings, motions, affidavits, warrants and other paperwork as necessary, witness preparation, securing and gathering of evidence, and representation of the State of Texas in pretrial proceedings, as well as in criminal bench trials and jury trials in County Courts.
- Formulation, justification, and communication of plea offers in criminal cases.
- Works with judges, court staff, law enforcement officers, defense attorneys, pro se defendants (when permissible by law), victims, witnesses, and office staff in the preparation and prosecution of criminal litigation.
- Advising law enforcement agencies and officers on issues of criminal law and criminal procedure; answering inquiries from the public and other governmental agencies regarding the duties of the District Attorney’s office.
- Other duties as assigned by the District Attorney.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Experience and Education:
- Must have a J.D. or equivalent degree from an accredited law school.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of criminal prosecution, law enforcement, and court procedures.
- Ability to prepare and analyze comprehensive legal documents.
- Ability to carry out assigned projects to their completion.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, county officials, the court system, and the general public.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquires or complaints.
- Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardizations exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to use a personal computer, including word processing and spreadsheet programs; calculator, telephone, copy machine, and fax machine.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must have a Texas law license.
- Must be an active member and in good standing with the Texas State Bar Association.
- Will accept applications from graduates awaiting Bar Exam/Bar results.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an exempt employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Employee may occasionally be required to lift, carry, push, pull, or move objects weighing up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work is primarily indoors in an air-conditioned, smoke free office.
**Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. on the closing date either by hand-delivery or email.
Kaufman County Human Resources
Kaufman County Annex
100 N. Washington Street
Kaufman, TX 75142
Applications are available on the Kaufman County website www.kaufmancounty.net or at the Kaufman County Human Resources Office. Job offers are contingent upon successful completion of background check and pre-employment drug test.