The Waller County Criminal District Attorney’s Office is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Criminal District Attorney in the Misdemeanor Division. Waller County is part of the Greater Houston area and is one of the fastest growing counties in Texas. Responsibilities will primarily be prosecution of criminal offenses in the County Courts at Law. The position is available immediately until filled.
Salary: Up to $85,000 depending on qualifications.
Primary duties for this position include:
- All aspects of prosecution of Class A and B misdemeanor criminal offenses, including case screening, preparation of pleadings, motions, affidavits, and warrants
- Representation of the State of Texas in pretrial proceedings, as well as in criminal bench and jury trials
- Prosecution of misdemeanor and felony juvenile cases
- Prosecution of Class C misdemeanor offenses in the Justice of the Peace courts
- Other duties as assigned by the Criminal District Attorney or First Assistant Criminal District Attorney
Areas of practice include:
- Criminal law
- Juvenile law
- Appellate law
- J.D. from an American Bar Association accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in Texas and in good standing with the State Bar of Texas
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively engage with colleagues, elected officials and department heads, court staff, and the public
- Knowledge and experience with Texas criminal law, criminal procedure and the rules of evidence.
- State bar dues paid by employer
- Approved CLE paid by employer
- Remote work options available after successful completion of a probationary period
- 15 paid County holidays per year
- Approximately 96 hours of sick leave accrual per year
- Approximately 80 – 120 hours of vacation leave accrual per year based on years of service
- Health insurance through BlueCross BlueShield of Texas
- Membership in the Texas Association of Counties (TAC) Health & Employee Benefits Pool
- Membership in the Texas County & District Retirement System (TCDRS)
- County and State longevity pay after 2 and 4 years of service, respectively
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, list of at least 3 references, and a County employment application to Criminal District Attorney Sean Whittmore at [email protected] Please submit all application documents in ONE email.
The County employment application can be found at: https://www.co.waller.tx.us/page/Employment.Opps
Not all applicants will be interviewed or contacted. Waller County is an equal opportunity employer.