Employer: Galveston County Criminal District Attorney’s Office
Location: Galveston, TX
The Galveston County Criminal District Attorney’s Office will have an opening for an entry level prosecutor in its Misdemeanor Division effective October 4, 2021.
Major duties include:
- Tries cases before jury or Judge.
- Performs a variety of complex, independent duties in conjunction with court trials, including performing discovery, evaluating legal theories and principles, performing research, etc.
- Offers pleas to defendants on criminal matters.
- Screens cases; reads offense reports to determine if a crime has been committed and prepares narrative for the charging information.
- Coordinates with the Adult Probation Department in reviewing and filing Motions to Revoke Community Supervision cases.
- Represents the county during bond forfeiture hearings.
- Enters pleas before the Judge.
- Prepares jail docket offers and calculates time already served.
- Participates and assists in pre-trial preparations.
- Performs other complex legal functions in a specific, assigned legal area to include misdemeanors, family violence, and JP appeals.
- Performs related duties.
- Graduation from an accredited school of law.
- Current membership in the State Bar of Texas, or awaiting results from the Texas Bar Exam.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
Starting salary is $62,013
Submit resumes and references via email or mail to:
First Assistant Criminal District Attorney
600 59th Street, Suite 1001
Galveston, Texas 77551