EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT
JOB TITLE: CHIEF, CIVIL DIVISION, OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
The Office of the Attorney General of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands is currently seeking applicants for the position of Chief, Civil Division. The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) is a government in political union with the United States of America. It consists of several islands in the Pacific Ocean located north of Guam, including the islands of Saipan, Tinian, and Rota. The Commonwealth judiciary consists of five Superior Court judges and a Supreme Court consisting of three justices. The Commonwealth is part of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
The successful applicant must be a member of a state or territorial bar association in good standing, making him or her eligible for a four-year temporary admittance to the Commonwealth Bar as a government attorney. Applicants must demonstrate a dedication to serving as a civil servant and a commitment to developing the case preparation, research, and courtroom skills necessary for civil litigation and agency representation. Working knowledge of the rules of federal rules of civil procedure, especially in the areas of motion practice and discovery, is essential. Familiarity with constitutional law, administrative hearing procedures, and government procurement is preferable. Applicant must possess strong academic credentials from an ABA- accredited law school, demonstrate excellent writing and advocacy skills, and have a proven record of creative thinking and working effectively in a team environment. Starting salary will be adjusted commensurate to the successful applicant’s level of experience. The term of the initial contract for the successful applicant will be two years.
NATURE OF WORK: This position is located at the CNMI Office of the Attorney General and is under the general supervision of the Attorney General and/or his designee. The incumbent represents the CNMI Government and its executive branch government agencies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assign cases, oversee litigation strategy and supervise the prosecution and defense of civil litigation cases.
- Review for approval requests for settlement authority and direct negotiation. Identify suitable cases for negotiated resolution and achieve benefits for clients by resolving issues through bargaining and principled compromise.
- Prosecute and defend the Commonwealth’s interests in civil litigation cases in Commonwealth and Federal courts and in administrative proceedings. Oversee Division’s statistical and case status reports.
- Recruit, interview, train and supervise Division staff. Review personnel issues. Review and consult with Attorney General or designee on attorney leave requests, work schedules, time sheets, travel authorizations and contract requests.
- Provide training and mentoring of Division attorneys. Oversee the formulation and implementation of short-term and long-term goals designed to enhance efficiency and effectiveness. Oversee the development and implementation of policies, procedures and protocols within the Division through coordination with the Attorney General or designee.
- Act as liaison with courts and their staff on questions of case management and compliance with local rules.
- Advise and consult with client agencies regarding litigation. Keeps supervisors, client agencies, and other appropriate parties informed of ongoing matters to establish a cooperative working relationships based on mutual trust, communication, and understanding of goals.
- Review pending legislation and proposed rules affecting litigation.
- Maintain an appropriate case load in addition to administrative duties described herein.
- Perform other legal and administrative duties as assigned at the direction of the Attorney General or designee. Benefits include financial assistance in lieu of payment of moving expenses, annual leave of eight (8) hours and sick leave at four (4) hours per pay period, an optional government health/life insurance plan with employee/employer share on premiums, 401(a) Retirement Plan.
Tina Deleon Guerrero, Manager, Administrative Services Email: [email protected]
***Please send cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and a list of three references.